Interestingly, when I posted yesterday’s blog post, I didn’t expect new statistics to come out so quickly from the respective agencies. Here are some interesting figures from 8 April 2015 news:
- 16.1 percent of couples who got married in 2003 had divorced by the 10th year of marriage. This was almost twice the divorce rate for the 1987 newly wed couples.
- 20.3 percent of couples who got married in 1998 had divorced by the 15th year of marriage. This was almost twice the divorce rate for the 1987 newly wed couples (12.3 percent).
- MSF also reported that men who got married before the age of 25 years old were twice more likely to end the relationship.
- 10% of the 2008 cohort (men who got married before the age of 25 years old) divorced within 5 years of marriage
- One third of the marriages in 1998 involving men from the age of 20-24 did not make it to the 15th year anniversary.
In light of such trends, MSF is preparing to initiate a marriage preparation programme in May 2015, to replace the recent initiative (a two hour programme) they had just started as the current programme contents are not as comprehensive, thorough as the upcoming one. Soon to be groom and bride, look out for it!
Disclaimer applies to the accuracy of the date provided, for exact and accurate date, do visit the respective agencies website. If you are looking for a good matrimonial lawyer to handle your case, do contact us.