Pregnancy is both, complicated and delicate period and perhaps it’s the toughest time for a woman who is going through divorce process during her pregnancy. Unlike many under developed countries that lack support groups, Singapore has sufficient number of organizations to help women going through such a stressful period. Having mentioned that, don’t lock out unborn child’s father during the process.
All the proceedings and procedures may be granted while you’re pregnant. But the process accomplishes after child’s birth. The purpose of wait is to make sure:
- The mother gives birth without any complications
- Court can easily determine regarding child support
Your divorce lawyer will take you through the terms of support, medical care and visitation regarding the newborn.
TWO CONDITIONS REGARDING CUSTODY AND MAINTENANCE OF THE NEWBORN
The family law firm will advise the spouses to outline about wife’s pregnancy and the husband’s position as, or as not, the biological father of the newborn.
- If the court finds out that the husband is the real father of newborn, it will consider maintenance and custody issues.
- If the child does not belong to the husband, the court does not take into account maintenance and custody issues related to newborn. In fact, the mother is required file a separate paternity suit which involves the biological father of the newborn.
DIVORCE DURING PREGNANCY AND MAINTENANCE AFTER CHILD’S BIRTH
Singapore Law holds the spouses responsible to support and maintain once the child is born. The deed of separation contract includes an agreement of both the parties on visitation and custody rights.
If the spouse (pregnant woman) is in need of immediate maintenance, she doesn’t have to wait for the final verdict of the court, or the commencement of divorce. In emergency, professional divorce lawyer would advice you to send application for maintenance to the Family Court on immediate basis.
The court will determine the following factors pertaining with the newborn:
The judge will consider following factors and determine support and maintenance of the child.
- Financial position of both the parties
- Anticipated monetary needs of newborn
- Medical complications and other disabilities in a newborn child
PERIOD OF MAINTENANCE
After the birth of child, the maintenance period lasts until the child reached the age of 21 years. Under special circumstances, the court may extend the maintenance period. These are:
- If the child has mental incapacity, or
- He or she is still going through tertiary level of education
VARIED CUSTODY ORDER
This order takes into account the maintenance and support of the newborn. You may want to request the court to cancel the custody and maintenance of the child for his/her interest. But you need to present to the court, the proof of circumstantial change after the original order was passed. Circumstantial changes include the following:
- Complicated health condition of the newborn
- Physical disability in the child
- Any salary increment
Going through divorce process is already a challenge and it becomes a lot more demanding if you’re pregnant. So, make sure you have enough family support, and there is a support group to take care of your problems.