Can You Divorce? Requirements to Satisfy Before The Court will grant a Divorce in Singapore
1. You or your spouse must be domiciled (treated Singapore as your permanent abode) at the commencement of the divorce proceedings. Alternatively, either of you must have resided in Singapore for 3 years immediately before the commencement of divorce proceedings.
2. You must have been married for at least 3 years before you can file a Writ for divorce on the ground that your marriage has broken down irretrievably.
However, with permission from the Court, you may proceed to file a Writ for divorce before 3 years of marriage if you can prove that you have suffered exceptional hardship or if your spouse has been exceptionally unreasonable and cruel.
Before Appointing a Divorce Lawyer in Singapore
Before you think about getting a divorce and engage a family or divorce lawyer, you may wish to consider the possibility of reconciliation between you and your spouse. Going through a divorce is not easy, traumatic and complicated. Consider going for counselling and mediation as it might help you in certain cases.
Most of the times, divorce involves dealing with issues such as custody of children, maintenance and division of assets. The impact it may have on you, your families and importantly, your children can be traumatic.
If reconciliation is not possible and you will need the best divorce lawyer Singapore which you can engage, who is equipped with the necessary knowledge and expertise to guide you through the complex divorce procedure. We are here to help you through this difficult period with our extensive knowledge and expertise.
Rest assured that you will enjoy peace of mind by working with us as we will deal with your affairs expediently, efficiently and effectively.
How Should A Good Divorce Lawyer Assist You?
We help you to know your rights and act in your best interest by negotiating a fair, realistic financial situation which will allow you to have your fair share of assets and income to ensure that you are properly provided for when the marriage ends.
We help you to protect your assets by ensuring that you keep your rightful share of any jointly owned assets example, properties, land and joint bank accounts.
We help you to work out the best possible child custody arrangement ensuring that the interests of your children are met.
We have one of the best divorce lawyer Singapore who will help you to work out a settlement in your best interests which is fair and reasonable to both parties and importantly ensuring that the children’s interests is/are met.
Matters that are best handled by your Divorce Lawyer
In a divorce proceeding, your appointed divorce lawyer will assist the relevant parties in applying for:
- child custody, care and control of children and access (such as visitation rights);
- and other ancillary matters (for example the division of matrimonial assets, including the matrimonial home).
In deciding on the division of matrimonial assets during a divorce, the Court will take into consideration various factors including:
- the extent of contributions made by each party in monetary terms, property or work towards the acquiring of the assets and non-financial contributions made by parties;
- any debts owing by either party which were contracted for this joint benefit; and
- the needs of the minor children (if any) of the marriage.
Can I Divorce Without Engaging A Divorce Lawyer In Singapore?
The short answer is Yes, you can. Appointing a divorce lawyer for your divorce proceedings is not compulsory if you can do it yourself.
However, you have to make sure you file all the required documents to the Family Court in the correct format through the Electronic Filing System and the correct filing fees. There must not be any lapse in the procedure.
However, do take note that the Family Court is not in the position to provide you with any advice. Hence, in more complex cases, you should consider engaging the best divorce lawyer Singapore that you can find as the lawyer can give you legal advice that is in your best interests.